Thursday, July 10, 2008

Week 3, thing 7

The sites I have been to with Raven have been (Flickr, trading cards, etc.) the creative sites - as I look at the sites I view them with "teacher" eyes.  I appreciate flickr for my students - although I wonder if I am doing them a favor.  Drawing a picture makes them focus and think more about the subject - whatever the subject. However many teachers require an "illustration" & feel that it is a "gimme" point wise if students download.  As I stated in my last blog the trading cards seem to have several classroom applications no matter the grade level.  I do need to find more school cameras if this is a tech/dewey classification lesson.  Even though the price has come down a great deal I still hesitate to place a hundred dollar plus tool in the hands of a 4th or 5th grader.  
  I'm not the family historian much more likely to be the family purger so flickr amazes me with the number people who would post photos & the great number of photos posted.  In checking out 'mosaic" the time and # of pictures that it takes to create a mosaic.  Definitely must be a high interest "hobby".     

1 comment:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

I think you need to look at all these as tools and then try to match up the right tool for the task and/or student. I really liked how Mandy Yan used VoiceThreads with her kindergarten and had them still draw their own pictures and write their own stories but she then used technology to mesh the two into a product that others (like parents and even more exciting perhaps grandparents) could view online.

And as for putting hundred dollar cameras in the hands of 4th and 5th grade students we used cameras in my school years ago that I'm sure cost more than that and they cameras and their software went obsolete before they suffered any kind of damage. I think it could be one of the best investments a teacher, librarian or school could make at this point in time. Among other reasons, as I study more about copyright and all the associated limitations I think it would be safer and smarter to just teach the students to make their own images. Whether they do more traditional artwork and then photograph it or go out and take photos of plants/bugs/animals etc. at least it would be their creation and not something pirated and perhaps used illegally. Guess I should get off the soapbox at this point.

Katie