Wednesday, June 18, 2008

week 2, thing 3

Creating the avatar was fun!  Getting it on to the Blog took a bit but it is done now and because it took awhile it reminded me that reading carefully is one of the best strategies for learning anything new.  Several years ago I had a friend whose supervisor was insisting that all staff members were required to post a photo of themselves.  She felt it was a privacy issue and refused.  It was a very uncomfortable situation.  Another staff member who posted her picture had an abusive husband track her down which changed the policy so that they were allowed to use icons instead. Avatars are a fun, creative way to go.  I am curious about how Avatars create a standard of "beauty" and how this subconsciously affects our students. 

2 comments:

Katie said...

Cyndi,
I think you have a valid point about the"concept" of beauty associated with avatars and I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to take the opportunity to start a conversation about that with students. I would point out that many people do not use a computer generated avatar but choose to use a photo of a pet or some other animal or object or some original artwork.
And in some respects that might be faster!!

Katie

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the beauty thing. I spent some time trying to get my avatar to be, um, more full figured with gray hair. I settled for the helmet. I completed the avatar to satisfy the requirement to do so, but I prefer a manipulated photo of myself instead. I think it better reflects my personality.
Elaine